CoastWatch provides software for
visualization and analysis of satellite data. Most CoastWatch data is
in a format called CoastWatch-HDF that is slightly modified from the
Hierachical Data Format (HDF).
HDF is a scientific data format specially
designed to handle large multidimensional datasets with direct access
to specific parts of the file without having to parse the entire file.
CoastWatch-HDF is a variation of HDF-4, so many HDF-4 readers can also
The CoastWatch Software Library and Utilities is a free software package
for working with CoastWatch satellite data in CoastWatch-HDF format.
The utilities allow data users to easily manipulate and visualize satellite
data. The utilities are composed of both graphical and command-line tools:
- CoastWatch Data Analysis Tool (CDAT) is a graphical interface
to many data manipulation and visualization functions.
- CoastWatch Utilities Library is a software library of functions
that are operated from the command line. With scripts or other programs,
the library functions can preform batch processing on many files. Here is
a sampling of major functions:
- Render data and legends to PNG, JPEG, and GeoTIFF images.
- Export data to raw binary, text, or ArcGIS grid files.
- Perform data sampling at discrete Earth locations
(e.g. for comparing satellite data with in-situ data).
- Draw and plot data transects.
- Combine multiple data files into one composite file for
any time-step (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.).
- Calculate data statistics: min, max, mean, standard deviation,
for any file or geographic subregion.
- Perform generic math operations, including cloud masking.
- Perform satellite data georegistration to a variety of Earth projections.
- Manually apply navigational corrections.
- Obtain information on file attributes, dimensions, and variables.
CoastWatch Data Analysis Tool
(data transect drawn and plotted)
Both CDAT and the Utilities Library are available in the same package,
and can be downloaded for installation on Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris and AIX
for more information and for downloading.
East Coast Node How-To
East Coast Node filenaming convention
Sample shell script to download
data from http directory tree
Latitude-Longitude file for each region